LANCE GULCH ROAD PROJECT
ON LANCE ROAD ALONG AND BETWEEN STATE ROUTE 3 AND STATE ROUTE 299
CONTRACT NO. 14-ROAD-02
General work description: Construct approximately 0.9 mile of new roadway with sidewalk. Project also includes the construction of drainage facilities, including a box culvert, and the addition of turn pockets and signal and lighting at intersection with State Highway 299. Project also requires environmental mitigation work by a qualified subcontractor. You must perform, place, construct, or install other items and details not mentioned that are required of the plans under the Standard Specifications and special provisions.
The County will receive sealed bids for LANCE GULCH ROAD PHASE 2 at 4:00 PM, November 6th, 2014. Bidders are advised that there are several construction and/or road maintenance projects on Highway 299 between Redding and Weaverville. Significant traffic delays may be experienced. Delivery of bid package by the bid opening time is the Bidders responsibility and no exceptions will be allowed.
The engineers estimate for the base bid portion of the work is $5,035,931. The engineers estimate for the additive bid portion of the work is $1,497,850. Funding available for Lance Gulch Phase 2 project is $5,104,000. Award of bid will be based on the combination of base bid and sequential add alternatives that fall at or under the available funding. Should two or more bids have the same combination of base bid and add alternatives, it will be awarded to the lowest responsive bid within that group.
Plans, Notice to Bidders and Special Provision documents for this project can be downloaded here:
Lance Gulch Phase 2 Plans - Pgs 1-19
Lance Gulch Phase 2 Plans - Pgs 20-64
Lance Gulch Phase 2 Plans - Pgs 65-88
Lance Gulch Phase 2 Plans - Pgs 89-97
Lance Gulch Phase 2 Plans - Pgs 98-111
Lance Gulch Phase 2 Plans - Pgs 112-123
The Sample Bid Book above is available for review, but may not be used for bidding purposes.
The Official Bid book is available for download at CIP List. All bidders MUST register at CIPList.com, and download plans from the website in order to bid on this project. Note: Due to website constraints, the plans on this page were broken up into multiple PDF files, but the plans on the CIP List website are all in one file.
The bid book is available in a digital format only. The bidder is required to print out and bind the bid book and submit it by the bid opening date listed in the Notice to Bidders.
Answers to Bidder's Inquiries:
1. Where can a bidder find the ornamental onion "Allium X 'globemaster'"?
Allium X 'Globemaster' is a non-native cultivar. Per the specifications, the roadside intersection plantings non-native cultivars are not required to be contract grown from stock obtained from the Trinity River watershed. Therefore, the Contractor is advised to search online for bulb suppliers that carry the specified species. Multiple online bulb suppliers have the species shown as available for purchase; however, if the species or quantity cannot be obtained the Contractor can submit substitution requests to the County for approval.
2. Plan sheets LD-1 and LD-2 have lists and numbers of plants. Do these numbers correspond directly with the numbers of plants in the bid items?
- The (439) Bulb plants shown in the additive alternate planting palettes on Sheet LD-1 are rounded up to 440 on bid item # 150 Plant Group E (Bulb).
- The (86) Treepot 8 container plants shown in the additive alternate planting palettes on Sheet LD-1 match directly with bid item # 151 Plant Group I (Treepot 8).
- The (695) 1 Gallon container plants shown in the additive alternate planting palettes on Sheet LD-1 are rounded up to 700 on bid item # 152 Plant Group A (1 Gallon).
- The (1080) Treeband plug plants shown in the Phase 2 Grassy Bioswale planting palette on Sheet LD-1 match directly with bid item # 33 Plant Group M (Treeband - Bioswale).
- The (37) Treepot 8 container plants including Acer circinatum, Alnus rhombifolia, Prunus virginiana var demissa, and Populus trichacarpa, (see planting note 1 Sheet LD-2) shown in the planting palettes on Sheet LD-2 match directly with bid item # 114 (M) Plant Group I (Treepot 8) - Mitigation.
- The (48) 1 Gallon container plants including Physocarpus capitatus, Rosa californica, Rubus ursinus, Vitus californica, and Cephalanthus occidentalis, (see planting note 1 Sheet LD-2) shown in the planting palettes on Sheet LD-2 match directly with bid item # 115 (M) Plant Group A (1 Gallon) - Mitigation.
- The (80) Treeband plug plants shown in the Riparian Wetland planting palette on Sheet LD-2 match directly with bid item # 116 (M) Plant Group M (Treeband) - Mitigation.
- The (25) Willow Cutting plants including Salix laevigata, Salix lasiandra, and Salix lasiolepis, (see planting note 1 Sheet LD-2) shown in the planting palettes on Sheet LD-2 match directly with bid item # 120 (M) Plant Group W (Willow Cutting) - Mitigation.
- The 1,000 Treeband plug plants shown in the Enhanced Montane Riparian planting palette shall be included in the lump sum cost for bid item 117 (M) Plant Establishment Work – Mitigation as stated in the note below the Enhanced Montane Riparian plant palette Sheet LD-2 and in the Special Provisions Specification Section 20-9.03D(2).
3. Which plants are additive and which plants are in the base bid?
On plan sheet LD-1, The Upland Roadside seed palette, the Lowland Roadside seed palette, and the Grassy Bioswale seed and plug palette are part of the base bid and are included in the base bid as separate individual line items. All of the remaining plants listed on plan sheet LD-1 are part of the additive bid.
All plants listed in the tables on plan sheet LD-2 are in the base bid.
4. Are all of the plants for the entire job listed in the tables on plan sheets LD-1 and LD-2? Are there other plants required in other areas that are not listed in the tables?
All the plants for the entire job are listed in the tables on Sheets LD-1 and LD-2. No other plants will be required; however, it should be noted that the treeband plug plantings shown on the Enhanced Montane Riparian plant palette sheet LD-2 are not included as an individual bid item. These plants (1,000 treebands in total) shall be included in the lump sum cost for bid item 117 (M) Plant Establishment Work – Mitigation as stated in the note below the Enhanced Montane Riparian plant palette Sheet LD-2, Planting Note 6 Sheet LD-2, and in the Special Provisions Specification Section 20-9.03D(2). All other plant container sizes are accounted for as separate bid line items in the bid schedule.
5. Where is Item # 42 (210280) “Rolled Erosion Control Product (Blanket)” used on the project plans?
This is the same item referred to in the following locations:
- On sheet 64 (DQ-5) as “Rolled Erosion Control Product (Blanket-Bioswale),
- On sheet 109 (LD-1) Detail 4 “North American Green C125BN Erosion Control Fabric or approved equal,”
- On sheet 109 (LD-1) “Phase 2 Bioswale Fabric Requirements” Table, and
- In the Specs Volume 1 page SP-39 (Add to Section 21-1.02O(4)).
An approved equal is acceptable (though not stated in the specification).
6. Over excavation quantities are listed in the project plans but there is no detail in the plans for over excavation? Where is the over excavation, if any?
The over excavation for the roadway prism is not shown on the plans. Over excavation quantities listed in the quantities table on Sheet 84 of the Project Plans are based on the Taber Geotechnical Study (October 2012) included in the information handout. The designers have assumed the following to estimate the amount of over excavation that will be required:
The over excavation accounted for in the quantity tables was based on the areas provided by Taber. A constant depth of 2’ was used for the areas within the station ranges of:
|STA 51+31.11 - 52+12.91||407.7 CY|
|STA 601+81.00 - 603+40.30||309.1 CY|
|STA 52+12.91 - 54+21.90||1,338.6 CY|
|STA 57+69.59 - 65+70.00||3,437.9 CY|
|STA 65+70.00 - 69+60.64||2,294.7 CY|
These limits are approximate, and will be adjusted in the field based on the actual soil conditions. The RE or geotechnical engineer on site should make the call as to what the exact limits of over excavation should be.
The over excavation quantities are included in the pay item quantities for roadway excavation. Over excavation will be paid for as roadway excavation, as described in Section 19-1.04 of the Standard Specifications.