Representative Payee

The Representative Payee Program provides money management services for Social Security and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) beneficiaries who need help managing their Social Security or SSI payments.

Your payee receives your payments on your behalf and will use the money to pay for your current needs, which include:
• housing and utilities;
• food;
• medical and dental expenses;
• personal care items;
• clothing.

After those expenses are paid, your payee can use the rest of the money to pay any past-due bills you may have, support your dependents or provide entertainment for you. If there is money left over, your payee will save it for you.

As an organizational representative payee, the Trinity County Public Guardian may charge a fee for these services, not to exceed the maximum established by the Social Security Administration (currently $43 per month).

Your Representative Payee must keep accurate records of your payments and how they are spent and regularly report that information to the Social Security Administration.

If you live in an institution, such as a nursing home or a hospital, your payee will use your benefits to pay the cost of your care and provide money for your personal needs.

Be sure to tell your payee if you:

• get a job or stop working;
• move;
• get married;
• get money from another source;
• take a trip outside the United States;
• go to jail or prison;
• are admitted to a hospital;
• save any money;
• apply for help from a welfare department or other government agency; and
• are no longer disabled, if your benefits are based on a disability.

If you or your payee fail to report any of these actions to the Social Security Administration, you may be paid more money than you are due. You may have to pay back any money you were not due, and your payments may stop.

For more information, or to request an application for Representative Payee services, please call 530-623-8209 or email us at